As you may have guessed from the title, let's talk about nomination at the 2021 Oscars announced yesterday.
This edition of the Academy Awards promises to be almost as unusual as the period we are experiencing. Let's find out all the nomination, the innovations introduced, the curiosities and where to retrieve the films released so far in streaming.
SPOILER ALERT: after some nominations there is a very brief synopsis of the film but DON'T you will find plot spoilers in this article. If you would like to face the vision in the dark, scroll directly to the last paragraph to find the links to look at the titles nominated for the 2021 Oscars.
The award ceremony of the 93rd edition of the 2021 Oscars will be held on April 25th at the historic Dolby Theater (formerly the Kodak Theater) in Los Angeles. Contrary to what has happened so far, however, the events will not be concentrated in one place but distributed in several location of the Californian city. In short, it seems that even the event apply social distancing from itself.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the ceremony has been postponed by almost two months from the originally scheduled date, which is February 28.
For the same reason, the eligibility criteria for accessing the nomination. Usually, the main stakes to be respected were two:
- Los Angeles County theatrical release between January 1 and December 31 of the year prior to the awards ceremony
- Permanence in theaters for at least seven consecutive days
Given the impact of the various lockdown on the entertainment industry, the Academy has decided to extend the deadline to February 28. Furthermore, it has chosen to include as eligible also the films whose release was scheduled for the indicated period, although it was then diverted to the various platforms of streaming due to the closure of cinemas.
OSCAR 2021: the nomination
But now we come to the juicy part, or the nominations announced yesterday by Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra. Not bad the idea of choosing a couple of relatives (the two are husband and wife) to present the event.
Following the creation of the prize for the best sound (in which those for the best mixing and best sound editing converge), this year the categories in question go from 24 to 23.
Three were the nomination to Italian artists: best costumes and best makeup for Pinocchio, as well as best song for Laura Pausini in Life ahead of him.
- The Father (Sony Pictures Classics): An elderly man refuses to be assisted by his daughter and reflects on the impact of the changes taking place in his life. Calling it dramatic is a sure candidate for the world championship of euphemisms, rather than the 2021 Oscars.
- Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros): biopic about Fred Hampton, activist and leader of the Black Panther party in Illinois killed by FBI agents. Less than a year after George Floyd's death, the Academy highlighted a film that refers to the problem of police brutality to the detriment of the African American community.
- Deficiency (Netflix): another biopic, this time on the life of Herman J Mankiewicz, screenwriter and Oscar winner in 1942 for Fourth power together with Orson Welles.
- Threatening (A24): fresh off the Golden Globe for best foreign film, it tells the story of a boy of Korean origins and his family, between the American dream and the difficulties caused by the arrival of his grandmother from Korea. There was also a nomination for best foreign language film. That P paved the way for Korean cinema? But no, because Threatening, although independent and with Korean actors in the cast, it is an American film.
- nomadland (Searchlight Pictures): dramatic adaptation of journalist Jessica Bruder's investigative book of the same name, tells the story of a woman who lost everything to the crisis; that's why he drives his van and meets other nomads like her. The film won the Golden lion to the 77th Venice International Film Festival, Golden Globe for Best Drama Film and for best director.
- A promising woman (Focus Features): A young woman carries trauma from a tragic event from her past and tries to avenge what happened by hunting down all the people she holds responsible.
- Sound of metal (Amazon Studios): A heavy-metal drummer is losing his hearing and ends up in a dangerous spiral, but he doesn't intend to give up the sound of the music. The film was created by Derek Cianfrance, percussionist suffering from tinnitus who then sold the script to his friend Darius Marder. Maybe the film strikes me very closely, but I recommend watching it.
- The Chicago Trial 7 (Netflix): drama film (how strange, another one?) That traces the legal events of the Chicago Seven, a collective of activists against the Vietnam war, accused of having caused the clashes at the national convention of the Democratic Party in 1968.
- Thomas vinteberg - Another round (Druk): Danish film starring Mads Mikkelsen, tells the story of four high school teachers. Bored and dissatisfied in the routine of their own lives, they decide to test a bizarre theory that promotes the benefits of a mild but constant state of intoxication.
- David Fincher - Deficiency: despite two nomination (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Social Network), Fincher has yet to take home Oscar. Could this be the right time?
- Lee Issac Chung - Threatening: born in Denver to South Korean parents, is known to critics for directing Munyurangabo, the first film shot in the Kinyarwanda language. In the future we should also see his film adaptation of the anime Your Name.
- Chloe Zhao - nomadland: In addition to directing the film nominated for Best Picture, he wrote, co-produced and edited it. All she needed was a role as an actress and baking cookies for all the staff, in short.
- Emerald Fennell - A promising woman: young actress known for her role in The Crown, is his debut behind the camera. The fact that her first film as a director earned her an Oscar nomination suggests that the title refers to her.
BEST PROTAGONIST ACTOR
- Rice Ahmed - Sound of metal: nomination unusual for a rather unusual film, especially given the musical genre chosen and not loved by everyone. The actor also has several albums to his credit as a rapper under the pseudonym of Riz MC. Before filming began, as well as taking drum lessons, Ahmed apparently learned American Sign Language.
- Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom: passed away last summer after a long illness, received his first nomination for his latest appearance and appears in two films in competition. Needless to say, online there is no lack of controversy from those who claim that he was nominated for the 2021 Oscars just because he passed away. No comment.
- Anthony Hopkins - The Father: exactly 30 years have passed since the last - and only - statuette won by the actor de The Silence of the Innocents. Could it be a good year?
- Gary Oldman - Deficiency: the actor proves to be perfect for the biopic and hits the heart of the Academy, as happened with the Oscar-winning Churchill film.
- Steven Yeun - Threatening: is the surprise share of nomination, being the only one of the five not to be fresh from the Golden Globe. Additionally, he is also the first Asian American actor to be nominated for a starring role.
BEST PROTAGONIST ACTRESS
- Viola Davis - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom: the actress has already brought home a statuette with Barrier in 2017 but, finally, it tries again as a protagonist.
- Andra day - The United States vs. Billie holiday: by now we know the Academy's passion for Such and Which Show, therefore it is not surprising her candidacy in the role of the lady of jazz, just like that of Gary Oldman. And it's no surprise that she earned a Golden Globe, either.
- Vanessa kirby - Pieces of a woman: known to the general public for its role in The Crown, here she plays a woman who loses her child in childbirth under unclear circumstances, with all the personal and legal consequences that entails.
- Frances McDormand - nomadland: already winner of two awards for best actress with Fargo e Three posters in Ebbing, Missouri, this year he returns to the red carpet with the sixth nomination of his career.
- Carey Mulligan - A promising woman (Promising Young Woman): debuted in cinema in 2005 with Pride and Prejudice as Kitty Bennet, she received a 2010 nomination for A and earned her a BAFTA. Could the 2021 Oscars be the right occasion?
In this case, all of them nomination On the phone: five out of five actresses have also been nominated for the Golden Globe as protagonists in a drama film.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Sacha Baron Cohen - The Chicago Trial 7 (The Trial of the Chicago 7): also nominated as director for the sequel to Borat, in the film he plays the co-founder of Youth International Party, Abbie Hoffman. Curiously, he is the only prominent actor already in the original cast of the film, which Spielberg started in 2007.
- Daniel Kaluya - Judas and the Black Messiah: you might remember it for Black Panther or for Escape - Get Out, for which he won a Bafta and nearly an Oscar. Curiously, the Black Panthers are also involved in this film.
- Leslie Odom Jr. - That night in Miami ... (One Night in Miami ...): the actor leaves the appearance in the controversial film behind Music and conquers one of the few nomination for the Regina King film. Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Sam Cooke and Jim Brown meet in a room at Hampton House and it all begins.
- Paul raci - Sound of metal: son of deaf parents, the actor is in the first important role of his career. For some minor roles, among other things, non-professional actors belonging to the deaf community were chosen.
- Lakeith Stanfield - Judas and the Black Messiah: appeared in a minor role in Selma - The road to freedom and Run - Get Out alongside Kaluuya, he has gone unnoticed in the eyes of the Academy until now.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Maria bakalova - Borat - Sequence of cinema films (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan): Debuted on the big screen in 2017, gets a nomination for her first major role. I wouldn't want to be in the presenters every time they have to pronounce the title of this film, by the way.
- Glenn Close - American Elegy (Hillbilly Elegy): Glenn Close is… well, Glenn Close. Flawless as ever, he deserves an Oscar regardless of the role he plays. But I'm clearly biased.
- Olivia Colman - The Father: another sacred monster of acting, she plays the protagonist's daughter and helps to give an intense and delicate representation of what it entails to assist a relative struggling against senile dementia.
- Amanda Seyfried - Deficiency: 17 years after her big-screen debut with Mean Girls, the actress has finally won her first nomination for the 2021 Oscars and Golden Globes.
- Yoon Yeo-jeong - Threatening: South Korean actress who retired at the height of fame after getting married, is back on the scene after a ten-year hiatus. Over 30 years later, he achieved international fame with this role and with nomination.
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- Will Berson, Shaka King, Kenny Lucas, Keith Lucas - Judas and the Black Messiah
- Lee Issac Chung - Threatening
- Emerald Fennell - A promising woman (Promising Young Woman)
- Darius Marder, Abraham Marder e Derek Cianfrance - Sound of metal
- Aaron Sorkin - The Chicago Trial 7 (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
BEST NOT ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- Ramin Bahrani - The white tiger (The White Tiger): film adaptation of Aravind Adiga's 2008 novel of the same name
- Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Dan Swimer, Peter baynham, Erica Rivinoja, Dan Mazer, Jena Friedman e Lee Kern, story by Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Dan Swimer and Nina Pedrad - Borat - Sequence of cinema films (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan)
- Christopher hampton e Florian Zeller - The Father: the film is the second film adaptation of the play of the same name written by the director in 2012.
- Kemp Powers - That night in Miami ... (One Night in Miami ...): film adaptation of the homonymous play theatrical of 2013
- Chloe Zhao - nomadland: taken from a book-reportage (see paragraph on the best film)
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
- Another round (Pressure), directed by Thomas vinterberg (Denmark)
- Collective (Colectiva), directed by Alexander Nanau (Romania)
- The Man Who Sold His SkinRegia di Kaouther Ben Hania (Tunisia)
- How are you, Aida?Regia di Jasmila 'bani' (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Shàonián de nǐRegia di Derek Tsang (Hong Kong)
BEST ANIMATION FILM
- Onward - Beyond the magic (Onward), directed by Dan Scanlon: I personally loved it madly (and reviewed HERE) and experienced as a brief one shot di Dungeons & Dragons. Needless to say, in comparison to Soul, has almost no chance of winning.
- Over the Moon - The fantastic world of Lunaria (Over the Moon), directed by Glen Keane
- Shaun, sheep's life: Farmageddon - The movie (A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon), directed by Will Becher e Richard Phelan: the mere fact that someone still has the patience and passion to create an animated film in stop-motion so well done, in my opinion, is reason enough to deserve it nomination that he hadn't gotten to the Golden Globes.
- SoulRegia di Pete Docter: second Disney title in competition for best animated film. We have reviewed it HERE and is given as a great favorite, also thanks to the victory of a Golden Globe and the warm welcome of the public. Although I have not convinced me, I realize that I am a voice out of the chorus.
- Wolfwalkers - The wolf people (wolfwalkers), directed by Tomm Moore e Ross Stewart: last film of a trilogy inspired by Irish mythology and set in the XNUMXth century. Through drawings of surprising beauty and a rare narrative delicacy, Wolfwalkers tells the relationship between magic, nature, human beings and… wolves, of course. A small pearl not to be missed.
- Sean Bobbitt - Judas and the Black Messiah
- Erik messerschmidt - Deficiency
- Phedon Papamichael - The Chicago Trial 7 (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
- Joshua James Richards - nomadland
- Dariusz Wolski - World news (News of the World)
- Alan Baumgarten - The Chicago Trial 7 (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
- Giorgos Lamprinos - The Father
- Mikkel EG Nielsen - Sound of metal
- Frédéric Thoraval - A promising woman (Promising Young Woman)
- Chloe Zhao - nomadland
- Donald Graham Burt e Jan Pascale - Deficiency
- David crank ed Elizabeth keenan - World news (News of the World)
- Nathan crowley e Kathy lucas - Tenet
- Peter Francis e Cathy Featherstone - The Father
- Mark Ricker, Karen O'Hara e Diana Stoughton - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Alexandra Byrne - Emma
- Massimo cantini parrini - Pinocchio: and here we are at the first of three Italian nominations for the 2021 Oscars, two of which involve the film by Matteo Garrone with Roberto Benigni in the role of Geppetto.
- Bina Daigeler - Mulan: perhaps (and I stress MAYBE) the only pleasant aspect of a film “practically terrible in every respect”, as Mary Poppins would say if she had seen it.
- Ann roth - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Trish Summerville - Deficiency
- Mark Coulier, Dalia Colli e Francesco Pegoretti - Pinocchio
- Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle e Patricia Dehaney - American Elegy (Hillbilly Elegy)
- Marese Langan, Laura allen e Claudia Stolze - Emma
- Sergio Lopez-Rivera, My Neal e Jamika Wilson - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Gigi Williams, Kimberley Spiteri e Colleen LaBaff - Deficiency
- Nicolas Becker, Jaime Baksht, Michelle Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés and Phillip Bladh - Sound of metal
- Ren Klyce, Coya Elliott and David Parker - Soul
- Ren Klyce, Jeremy Molod, David Parker, Nathan Nance and Drew Kunin - Deficiency
- Warren Shaw, Michael Minkler, Beau Borders and David Wyman - Greyhound - The invisible enemy (Greyhound)
- Oliver Tarney, Mike Prestwood Smith, William Miller and John Pritchett - World news (News of the World)
BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS
- Nick davis, Greg Fisher, Ben Jones and Santiago Colomo Martinez - The only and unsurpassed Ivan (The One and Only Ivan)
- Sean Faden, Anders Langlands, Seth Maury and Steve Ingram - Mulan
- Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley and Scott Fisher - Tenet
- Matthew Kasmir, Christopher Lawrence, Max Solomon and David Watkins - The midnight sky
- Matt Sloan, Genevieve Camilleri, Matt Everitt and Brian Cox - Love and monsters
- Terence blanchard - From 5 Bloods - Like Brothers (From 5 Bloods)
- Emile Mosseri - Threatening
- James Newton Howard - World news (News of the World)
- Trent reznor e Atticus Ross - Deficiency
- Trent reznor, Atticus Ross e Jon Batiste - Soul: Double nomination at the 2021 Oscars for the artist duo Reznor-Ross. That they manage to win at least one of the two? We'll see.
Next to each nomination you will find the link to listen to the songs nominated for the 2021 Oscars.
- Fight for you (music by HER e Dernst Emile II, text by HER e Tiara Thomas) - Judas and the Black Messiah: you can listen to it HERE.
- Hear My Voice (music by Daniel Pemberton, text by Daniel Pemberton e Celeste Waite) - The Chicago Trial 7 (The Trial of the Chicago 7): video of the song HERE.
- Husavik (music and lyrics by Savan Kotecha, Fat Max Gsus e Rickard Göransson) - Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga: you can find it HERE.
- I do (Seen) (music by Diane warren, text by Diane warren e Laura Pausini) - Life ahead of him: fresh from Golden Globe and performance in Sanremo, you can listen to the song HERE and admire the return to the scene of Sofia Loren.
- Speak Now (music and lyrics by Leslie Odom Jr. e Sam Ashworth) - That night in Miami ... (One Night in Miami ...): official video HERE.
- The mole agentRegia di Maite Alberdi
- Collective (Colectiva), directed by Alexander Nanau
- Crip Camp: revolutionary disabilities (crypt camp), directed by Nicole Newnham e Jim LeBrecht
- My friend at the bottom of the sea (My Octopus Teacher), directed by Pippa Ehrlich e James Reed
- TimeRegia di Garrett Bradley
BEST ANIMATION SHORT FILM
- Genius lociRegia di Adrien Mérigeau
- Já-FólkiðRegia di Gísli Darri Halldórsson
- OperaRegia di Erick Oh
- If anything happens, I love you (If Anything Happens I Love You), directed by Michael Govier e Will mccormack
- The den (Burrow), directed by Madeline Sharafian
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM
- ColetteRegia di Anthony Giacchino
- A Concert Is a ConversationRegia di Kris Bowers e Ben Proudfoot
- Do not splitRegia di Anders Hammer
- Hunger wardRegia di Skye Fitzgerald
- A Love Song for LatashaRegia di Sophia Nahli Allison
BEST SHORT FILM
- feeling throughRegia di Doug Roland
- The Letter RoomRegia di Elvira Lind
- The PresentRegia di Farah Nabulsi
- Two Distant StrangersRegia di Travon Free e Martin Desmond Roe
- White eyeRegia di Tomer Shushan
WHERE TO SEE THE FILMS NOMINATED TO OSCAR 2021?
Given the fragmentation of the various services of streaming, I thought about putting all the titles together in a list and attaching the direct links to see those already released. As for the music videos, however, you can find the links directly in the paragraph "Best song"
You will notice that some films are not available for Italy and that others are paid. I certainly won't be the one to recommend using a VPN but, in short, piracy is better in the end. The ideal would be to support the entertainment industry and the people involved in the industry, of course.
Given the amount of titles already included in the subscriptions, this time there is no excuse and we can easily recover a good part of the films nominated for the 2021 Oscars.
OSCAR 2021 - LIST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
- Borat - Sequence of cinema films [Prime Video]
- From 5 Bloods - Like Brothers [Netflix]
- American Elegy [Netflix]
- Emma [YouTube, Google Play, Prime Video]
- Eurovision Song Contest: The history of the Fire Saga [Netflix]
- Greyhound - The invisible enemy [Apple TV]
- The Chicago Trial 7 [Netflix]
- Judas and the Black Messiah [HBO Max]
- The only and unsurpassed Ivan [Disney +]
- The white tiger [Netflix]
- Life ahead of him [Netflix]
- Love and monsters [Prime Video]
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom [Netflix]
- Deficiency [Netflix]
- Threatening [Prime Video]
- Mulan [Disney +, YouTube, Google Play, Prime Video]
- nomadland [out April 30 on Disney +]
- World news [Netflix]
- Onward - Beyond Magic [Disney +, Prime Video]
- Over the Moon - The fantastic world of Lunaria [Netflix]
- Pieces of a woman [Netflix]
- Pinocchio [YouTube, Google Play, Prime Video]
- That night in Miami ... [Prime Video]
- How are you, Aida?
- Shàonián de nĭ [The legal stream cannot be found. In English the title is Better Days, then you do.]
- Shaun, sheep's life: Farmageddon - The movie [YouTube, Google Play]
- Soul [Disney +]
- Sound of metal [Prime Video]
- Tenet [YouTube, Google Play, Prime Video]
- The Father [Prime Video, in Italy it is scheduled for the end of summer]
- The Man Who Sold His Skin
- The midnight sky [Netflix]
- The United States vs. Billie holiday [Hulu]
- Another round [Hulu]
- A promising woman [Prime Video]
- Wolfwalkers - The wolf people
If you know where to look for the missing titles, leave a comment or write us on our social profiles (Facebook e Instagram).
This year there is no excuse not to get them back before the ceremony.
And without even having to take off your pajamas.