The Kickstarter of Kids & Legends - Season XNUMX has begun. Let's find out what's new in this famous role-playing game for children and teenagers!
You will remember that in 2020 we talked about the successful Kickstarter of an all-Italian role-playing game dedicated to young people between 8 and 14 years old. It was about Kids & Dragons, which later changed its name to Kids & Legends. Arrived as a finalist for the award Role-playing Game of the Year 2021, Kids & Legends earned a special mention.
In these two years, the team behind the game did not sit idle and continued to lead Kids & Legends in schools and to develop the game's setting, the fantasy world of Lanyoo.
So, these days he left a new crowdfunding on the game's Kickstarter, Namely Kids & Legends - Second Season. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the project and take a look at the Kickstarter.
Read also: KIDS ON BIKES: THE REVIEW
What Kids & Legends - Second Season?
Kids & Legends - Second Season it is not a second edition of Kids & Legends, but rather an expansion of the original game. Dedicated to both those who already have the game and those who have never bought it, this expansion offers new adventures and new materials on the world of Lanyoo.
A new adventure: A hope for Lanyoo
First, in Kids & Legends - Second Season there will be a new game campaign, namely A hope for Lanyoo. It is an adventure set in the past of the setting of Kids & Legends, whose first original adventure of 2020 told the story of a group of students from our world who were catapulted into the magical world of Lanyoo. Well, A hope for Lanyoo is set in the past, when Earth and Lanyoo had not yet separated and were beginning to explore the potential of techno-magic.
Even in A hope for Lanyoo there will be two books: a book of events, with history, and a map book, with all the maps.
Furthermore, in A hope for Lanyoo new game mechanics will be introduced.
The first is made up of Story Routes, which is a version of the Story Points dedicated to the reactions of NPCs to the progress of the plot. The second is the possibility of being able to maneuver
some wick sorry, of the battle machines, that is, huge self-propelled structures that the characters will be able to pilot.
Finally, there will also be a card game inside a Kids & Legends, Called Spritzgnack!. However, this card game is not a "plus", it is closely connected to the plot! In fact, some parts of the adventure can be faced ... literally with a game of cards! Kind of like the Gwent in The Witcher 3, Also in A hope for Lanyoo you will meet NPCs who are passionate about cards and who can compete to win money, items, information, and even their own life.
A New Monster Manual: Beasts and Ugly Surprises
To have all the bad stuff on hand that you can let your players meet, Kids & Legends - Second Season also offers a new monster manual, Beasts and Ugly Surprises. In this manual, 40 of the game's iconic monsters will be explored, describing their appearance, origins, habitat, strengths and weaknesses.
In this sense, gods are also proposed in this manual alternative methods of dealing with monsters, which exploit the environment in which you play. Turning off the lights in the room, jumping on the chair, screaming at the top of your lungs will all be actions that players will be able to perform physically and that will have an impact on the fights.
What if you don't always want to fight? Well, in Beasts and Ugly Surprises information will also be contained for to teach and samples.
Finally, along with the manual there will also be a pencil case with the cards of all the monsters.
A setting manual: the Tome of Knowledge
In Kids & Legends - Second Season you will also have a new setting manual, in which you will deepen the world of Lanyoo .: the Tome of Knowledge. Divided into six sections, it will cover the history, magic, science, geography, letters and languages of Lanyoo.
And yes, Seeker G also participates in the writing of this book, who will be in charge of writing the chapter on Lanyoo Languages!
Read also: ITALIAN KICKSTARTERS: ALL OUR ITEMS
How is the Kickstarter of Kids & Legends - Second Season?
Kids & Legends - Second Season has a goal of €20.000 and it will end Wednesday March 30. Deliveries are estimated for February 2023 and shipments are for Italy only.
The different levels of pledge are as follows:
- Lanyoo Adventurer (50 €). Contains the adventure A hope for Lanyoo (map book and event book), 20 item cards, 15 monster and NPC cards, a box containing everything and the PDF version of each of these things;
- Tamer of Lanyoo (€ 80). Contains the rewards of Adventurer of Lanyoo, to which it adds: the manual Beasts and Ugly Surprises, 40 monster cards + case;
- Lanyoo scholar (€ 100). Contains the rewards of Adventurer of Lanyoo, to which it adds: the Tome of Knowledge and the Spritzgnack card game! (40 cards + card case);
- Doge of Lanyoo (€ 130). It contains everything: the adventure A hope for Lanyoo (map book and event book), 20 item cards, 15 monster and NPC cards, the manual Beasts and Ugly Surprises, 40 monster cards + case, the Tome of Knowledge and the Spritzgnack card game! (40 cards + card case), a box that contains everything and the version of each of these things in PDF.
How is crowdfunding going?
At the moment, we are on the third day of crowdfunding, but Kids & Legends - Second Season has not yet achieved its goal. However, she is at an excellent point with over € 18.000 raised.
His is a very high initial goal (the first edition had a goal of € 9.500, so to speak). This is due to the increase in raw material costs, due to the paper crisis. And, as they also write on theirs Facebook page .The team Kids & Legends wants to offer a quality product, as it was for its first Kickstarter.
The stretch goals revealed
Then, Kids & Legends - Second Season he still has some way to go, but time is there and he will surely reach his goal soon.
At that point, we will also see yours stretch goals, which we list here:
- Andrea Rossi (€ 21.000). Line curator Old-School Essentials of Need Games, will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Magic of the Indomia Clan;
- Andrew Angiolino (€ 22.000). Author of many board games, including Wings of glory, will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Geography of the Indomia Clan;
- Glory Comandini (€ 23.000). The G-Seeker who is writing this article, in short. As a linguist, I will write a chapter on Lanyoo Languages;
- Increase of 40 pages of the Tome of Knowledge (€ 28.000);
- Nicholas Santagostino (€ 29.000). Author of contributions for role-playing games such as Savage Words e Urban Heroes, and author of epigoni, will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Philosophy of the Vigardia Clan;
- Emmanuel Galletto (€ 30.000). Author of Fabula Ultima, he will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Philosophy of the Avax Clan;
- Twenty new monsters (€ 35.000);
The stretch goals to reveal
There are also many stretch goals still to be revealed:
- Mauro Longo (to discover). Author of fantasy novels such as The maker of ghosts, role play manuals, and role-playing games like Brancalonia, will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Science of the Vigardia Clan;
- Twenty new playing cards (to be discovered);
- New songs for a soundtrack, made by Sonor Village (to be discovered);
- Giuliano Gianfriglia (to discover). Founder of the La Tavola Rotonda association, he will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Geography of Clan Avax;
- Matthew Dawkins (to discover). Content creator, YouTube channel author Gentleman Gamer and author of role-playing games They Came from Beneath the Sea e They Came from Beyond the Grave, will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Magic of the Noon'Doom Clan;
- Role parents (to discover). Advocates and educators, creators of the project By role, you learn and authors of Tears of Stars, they will write a chapter of the Tome of Knowledge, on the Philosophy of the Indomia Clan;
- Internal organizer (to discover).
Some conclusive thoughts
Personally, in 2021 I got to play Kids & Legends several times. I took it to several short campaigns in elementary schools and had a group of middle school boys and girls do a 10-session campaign.
Either way, I have found Kids & Legends un ottimo prodotto, very intuitive and very well structured. I really appreciated the way he uses physical materials to make himself more intuitive and for his accessibility even for young people with SLD.
In short, the base material of Kids & Legends I consumed it (but it holds up well and survived the paws of elementary school children, so it's made of good stuff!). So, I can't wait to get my hands on the expansions of Kids & Legends - Second Season. I'm very curious to see the new mechanics proposed for dealing with monsters and NPCs, as I believe they have potential.